Skip to main content

67 DROWNED AFTER BOAT CAP.................


Photos: 67 migrants drowned after boats capsized off Libya, 3,000 rescued, including Nigerians

67 migrants are feared dead off Libya and the coastal town of Zuwara after more than 3,000 people attempted the crossing between Tuesday and Wednesday. The crew of the Swedish rescue vessel Poseidon discovered around 52 bodies in the hold of a wooden boat from which around 400 people were rescued some 30 miles north of Libya.


They were found close to the engine and are believed to have died from inhalation of engine fumes and asphyxia. Originally, rescuers counted 30 bodies but a spokesman for the Italian coastguard said the real death toll stands at 52.

In a separate incident, another 15 people are feared drowned after their boat capsized around five miles off the coastal town of Zuwara on Wednesday. A spokesman for the coastguard there said they had saved 20 people and recovered three bodies. The survivors, primarily from Nigeria and Ghana, told the coastguard they were traveling in a group of about 40 when their boat overturned in bad weather. They had only travelled some four hours after they left the shoreline.

The coastguard started the rescue at 4am and continued with the search into the afternoon but no more bodies were spotted. The tragedies came during anespecially busy day in the waters outside Libya.The Italian coastguard said in a statement that around 3,000 people had been rescued in 10 different operations throughout Wednesday on the central Mediterranean route to Europe. That brings the total number of people rescued since Saturday to about 8,170 people.
Rescuers from the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), Medicines Sans Frontieres (MSF), the Swedish coastguard and Italian Navy rescued at least 1,800 people between themselves. Most of them were picked up within a square mile some 30 miles north of Zuwara. Around 11am, rescuers from the Poseidon and MOAS were engaged with the boat in which the bodies were discovered when another wooden vessel with 600 migrants appeared on the horizon. An hour later, a dinghy with some 100 people on board was heading towards the rescue vessels.

The result is that some 150 people were left stranded on the wooden boat waiting while the Italian navy vessel Fiorillo made its way to the area because all other vessels in the area were filled to capacity. People started feeling sick provoking a chain reaction, while many more suffered from dehydration. Eventually, a doctor from MSF treated the most pressing cases and rescuers from MOAS supplied water making the wait more bearable.
According to Migrant Reportthe migrants left Zuwara at around midnight between Tuesday and Wednesday. Most are from Pakistan and Bangladesh and sub-Saharan Africa.
Source: Migrant Report

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANE CARRYING 54 PEOPLE IS MISSING IN.........

Indonesia plane carrying 54 people goes missing An Indonesian domestic flight carrying 54 passengers and crew has gone missing. The plane, said to be about 27 years old, lost contact with air traffic control in Papua province around 2.55pm local time The Trigana Air Service flight carrying 44 adult passengers, five children and five crew members, left Sentani Airport at 2:22 p.m. and was supposed to land at Oksibil airport at about 3:05 p.m but disappeared 10 minutes before it was due to land. Indonesia Transport ministry said no distress call was made from the plane. Search and rescue have begun though it has since been called off because of bad weather. Search for the plane, believed to have crashed in the steep mountains, will continue tomorrow. Quite sad!

Higuian closes in on juventus move

Gonzalo Higuain has undergone a medical with Juventus and agreed personal terms as he closes in on a move to the Serie A champions. The Bianconeri have agreed to pay the Argentina international's €94 million release clause, with Napoli set to receive the money in two sets of €47m installments. Higuain will sign a four year-contract with the Turin outfit, with his deal worth €7m-a-year.

Photos: Italian doctor wants to adopt little Nigerian orphan whose parents died in immigrant boat off Libya coast

Doctor Pietro Bartolo wants to adopt an orphan girl from Nigeria after parents died in immigrant boat off the coast of Libya. "I want to keep her with me forever," said Bartolo. The month old Nigerian girl touched the heart of the Italian Doctor, who was caring for her after he rescued her. The baby’s pregnant mother and father are believed to have died when the overcrowded boat capsized. A photo of doctor Bartolo with the baby went viral in Italy with many families making calls to adopt her.  However, the baby will be transferred with dozens other survivors to Sicily where she will be taken by Child Care Center who will then transfer her to an Italian family.