Skip to main content

From homeless to $100m! Steve Harvey opens up about overcoming homelessness


Comedian, actor, talk show host and best selling author, Steve Harvey has had some ups and downs and now the comedian is opening up about being homeless at the beginning of his career. His rags-to-riches tale is one of integrity, ingenuity and success.

For an interview with People, Harvey revealed that while he's now amassed an empire estimated to be worth $100 million, he was once homeless and living out of his Ford Tempo. The Family Feud hosts says that there were moments when he wasn't sure how he'd make it through.

"It kills me when I hear very successful people say, 'I always knew I would get here,' " he says. "I didn't. I always hoped I would get somewhere, but this is above and beyond. My imagination didn't even go this big."

"Everybody has a moment when they turn back, when you say to yourself, 'This is too much,' I had it on several occasions."

And, when Harvey realized that he'd hit his lowest point he still found a way to get through it.

"I sat down and started crying, but a voice said, 'If you keep going, I'm going to take you places you've never been.' It was like God said, 'Don't quit, you're almost there.'"

And he got there! His bestselling 2009 bookAct Like a Lady, Think Like a Man has been adapted into a blockbuster film and a sequel. He now hosts a syndicated radio show as well as the game show Family Feud and a hit daytime talk show, The Steve Harvey Show and most recently he hosted NBC's hit variety series Little Big Shots.

But when he first quit his job to take a chance at being a comedian, he found himself separated from his wife, on his own and living on as little as $50 a week.

"That was an ugly period, just very painful," he says of becoming homeless in the late '80s. Everybody has a moment when they turn back, when you say to yourself, 'This is too much,' " Harvey says. "I had it on several occasions."

Success shortly followed, with Harvey landing a high-profile gig performing on Showtime at the Apollo in 1993, and eventually, a sitcom, and a spot on Cedric the Entertainer and the late Bernie Mac's Original Kings of Comedy tour.

Even now, though, with a happy marriage and family life, as well as his status as a television mainstay, Harvey says he can't slow down.

"I'm running from homelessness," he shares. "I can't ever be in that position again. If my show gets canceled, I've got three more. I don't have any free time, but I have 12 jobs."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 BEST WAYS TO START SUCCESSFUL POULTRY FARM IN NIGERIA.

Poultry farming can be seen as the process of keeping and raising different kinds of birds such as ducks, chickens, turkey, geese, etc, for the main purpose of selling them when they're grown or for their eggs or meat.  Poultry farm have become a crucial part of Nigeria's economy both in food production and otherwise.  Poultry farming is one of the lucrative agricultural business in Nigeria today both for the meat and the eggs. Poultry farming doesn't require a lot of money to start except you want to start it big. But just in a one room and with few chickens, you can start a poultry farm. How do you start a poultry farm? Nowadays, in Nigeria and outside Nigeria, there is a high demand for the products of a poultry farm, for example, egg is considered a high standard commodity both in rural and urban areas. Nigeria boost as the highest egg producing country in Africa followed by South Africa.  Before you start a poultry farm, you should be prepared with all its equipments...

Hillary Cliton Ahead of Donald Trump

Donald Trump trails Hillary Clinton by months, even years, in using fast-evolving digital campaigning to win over voters, data specialists working with the GOP say. The presumptive Republican presidential nominee has dismissed the science that defines 21st century political campaigns, a tool that President Barack Obama used effectively in winning two terms and the Clinton campaign has worked on for nearly a year. And while it is too early to tell whether the late start signals trouble for Trump, it illustrates the difference between Trump's proudly outsider campaign and the institutional knowledge within Clinton's. "She's been able to prepare a general election campaign since the beginning," said Alex Lundry, former senior technology adviser to Mitt Romney's 2012 Republican presidential campaign. "That head start in terms of time is extraordinarily valuable." Precision digital-marketing data, a person's online footprints, have become an elec...

President Buhari Regrets Resignation Of UK PM

President Buhari regrets resignation of UK Prime Minister, David Cameron President Buhari has said he regrets the resignation of British Prime Minister David Cameron, which will come into effect in October. In a statement released by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Shehu Garba, President Buhari said Nigeria has enjoyed remarkable goodwill, support and understanding under the capable leadership of the outgoing Prime Minister over the years. The President said Cameron’s resignation in response to the outcome of a referendum that supported Britain to leave the European Union “was a demonstration of courage by a democratic leader who respects the will of the people, even if he didn’t agree with their decision.” President Buhari noted that by ‘‘putting the will of the people before his political future, the Prime Minister proved himself to be a selfless leader with respect for democracy and voter sovereignty.’’ The President expressed hope that Nigeria looks...