Skip to main content

MTN Shares Slumps After NIGERIA Suspend Fine Talks


MTN Group shares fell after Nigeria suspended talks about a $3.9bn fine on the South African mobile-phone company while the country’s House of Representatives completes an investigation into the nature of the penalty.
The stock declined as much as 2.9%, the most since May 12, and traded 1.5% lower at R126.50 as of 10:23 am in Johannesburg, valuing the company at R233bn. The shares have plunged almost 35% since the fine, originally set at $5.2bn was levied in October.
“Any delays in finding a resolution for the MTN fine will play into trading and keep MTN’s share price suppressed,” Peter Takaendesa, an analyst at Mergence Investment Managers, said by phone from Cape Town on Monday. “The big event to watch this week will be MTN’s annual general meeting, where the market might also get additional clarity.”
Nigeria’s decision to put talks on hold will frustrate Johannesburg-based MTN as it seeks to resolve a fine that was levied for missing a deadline to disconnect customers deemed unregistered in the country, which is battling an Islamist insurgency. The company’s stock decline has cost MTN the title of Africa’s biggest wireless company by market capitalisation, losing it to crosstown rival Vodacom Group.
“MTN cautions shareholders not to make any decisions based on media reports,” spokesperson Chris Maroleng said in e-mailed comments. Investors will be informed of any update to the fine negotiations via the stock exchange news service, he said.
The Nigerian lawmakers “have set up a committee to investigate the MTN saga and they are still on it,” Victor Oluwadamilare, spokesman for Nigeria’s Ministry of Communications, said by phone from Abuja, the capital, on Friday. “Until they are through with it, nothing can be done.”
Executive Chairman Phuthuma Nhleko returned to the helm in November for a six-month term to resolve the crisis, yet he remains in charge having not fulfilled his mandate. He will address shareholders at the annual meeting in Johannesburg on Wednesday.
“The federal government, the Nigerian Communications Commission and the Ministry of Communications can do nothing about the MTN case until the committee concludes its thorough investigation,” Oluwadamilare said. “There’s no point dealing with a particular organization from different fronts. It would be counter-productive.”
Stuck in Limbo
MTN’s last reported offer was to pay $1.5bn in a combination of staggered cash payments, sovereign debt purchases and access to its network. The company is Nigeria’s biggest mobile-phone company, and in turn the country is the largest of MTN’s 22 markets across Africa and the Middle East.
“This suggests that MTN might still be stuck in limbo, and that is not a good thing for them,” Dobek Pater, managing director at Johannesburg-based Africa Analysis, said by phone. “Suggestions were that the negotiations were going on in a positive path for MTN, especially when the company received that first reduction. Now, with the investigation the process is back to the unknown.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwa Savage Denies Jay Z Forced Her To Join Illuminati

Tiwa Savage Denies Jay Z Forced Her To Join Illuminati , Debunks Secret Society Membership…  29, 2016 – Tiwa Savage Denies Illuminati Membership Rumour After Showing Secret Society Hand sign While Performing Tiwa Savage Denies Jay Z Has Forced Her To Sell Her Soul To The Devil….. Debunks Secret Society Membership Rumour The Mavin songstress caught displaying a sign which depicts allegiance to Satan has denied being a member of the secret society. The single mother of one who is now signed under Jay Z’s ROC Nation label revealed that she doesn’t know the meaning of the Illuminati sign she showed while performing at the One Africa Music Festival last week. Her fans in Nigeria are worried that the singer struggling to pay the load of debt incurred by her ex-drug addict hubby might have joined the Illuminati secret society after watching her showed her fingers in the air with the occultic sign. Some were however fast to say, Jay Z is allegedly a member, so th...

Hundreds In candlelight Vigil For Egypt Aircrash Victims

Hundreds of people gathered on Thursday in Cairo for a candlelight vigil for the 66 people killed last week when an EgyptAir plane crashed into the Mediterranean in mysterious circumstances. EgyptAir MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappeared from radar screens between the Greek island of Crete and the north coast of Egypt on May 19. Investigators are still searching for the Airbus A320's two black boxes on the seabed as they seek answers as to why the aircraft went down. Clutching bouquets of flowers, candles and the Egyptian flag, around 500 mourners assembled at the Cairo Opera House and observed a minute's silence in honour of the victims. "We are here to pay respect to the souls of our victims and wish their families peace," said Civil Aviation Minister Sherif Fathy. A large panel bearing the names of the 66 victims was displayed at the memorial ceremony, which was also attended by cabin crew in EgyptAir uniforms. "This is a message to the world that Egypt...

Higuian closes in on juventus move

Gonzalo Higuain has undergone a medical with Juventus and agreed personal terms as he closes in on a move to the Serie A champions. The Bianconeri have agreed to pay the Argentina international's €94 million release clause, with Napoli set to receive the money in two sets of €47m installments. Higuain will sign a four year-contract with the Turin outfit, with his deal worth €7m-a-year.